Well… I admit once again … I am a sucker for sweets and pastry making! Today’s recipe is a sweet indulgence, a not so healthy treat. After all, if there are no health reasons, a slip now and then does not hurt but it breaks the monotony. 😉 As long as one can control the slip and does not often repeats it. So here’s a summer treat, an impressive fruity dessert: baked plums with frozen almond cream.
The fruits are baked in red wine and the sauce is fragrant and very tasty! The frozen almond cream is nothing more than whipped cream with chopped and caramelized almonds, the easiest ice cream that you can make. It is best to make the almond cream a day ahead, to freeze well. For the vegan version read the notes below.
Baked Plums with Frozen Almond Cream
- • 8 ripe medium plums (900 g.)
- • 1 vanilla bean
- • ¼ cup (60 ml) dry red wine
- • ¼ cup caster sugar
- • 300 ml cream 35% fat, cold *
- • 2 tablespoons stevia powder (1: 1 with sugar)
- • a few drops of vanilla extract
- • 120 g. almonds
- • 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a small nonstick skillet, over medium heat, add the almonds and sugar and roast until caramelized. Allow to cool. Crush with a pestle in medium-sized pieces.
- Beat the cream, stevia and vanilla until soft peaks form; fold in the caramelized almonds. Transfer the mixture into a container and leave it in the freezer overnight. Before serving let the frozen cream stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180o C / 375o F.
- Cut shallow cross in the base of each plum and place them, cut-side up, in a small pan in a single layer.
- Cut the vanilla bean lenthways and add to dish. Pour red wine over plums and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Bake plums for about 30 minutes, until tender. Brush plums with juices at least twice through cooking time. Once cooked, remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- Serve with the baked plums with frozen almond cream.
- *Or non dairy cream for vegans