Are you one of those people who leave bananas on the kitchen counter for days? And when they get almost black you are wondering why didn’t you make something out of them? Me too…. I like bananas, but usually I have other fruits at home that I like more, especially during summer. 🙂 Therefore, recently, I’m looking to find ways to use ripe bananas, apart from putting them in the freezer for a refreshing smoothie. After these very delicious pancakes, here comes these healthy vegan banana muffins to give the solution!
These muffins are perfect for morning coffee, a healthy take-away snack to work or school and, most importantly, they can be stored in the freezer and when they thaw, they are asa good as new! When the weather is hot, cakes and muffins containing fruits do not keep more than two days. In the refrigerator they can be kept 1-2 days more, but in the freezer much longer. And kids love them!
If you do not have muffins pan, put the mixture into an oblong cake tin. Just keep in mind that it will take a little more baking. Moreover, if you do not have a mixer you can make the muffins by mixing the ingredients by hand. The mixer is not necessary, it just makes things easier.
As for the ingredients, if emmer whole wheat flour is difficult for you to find, you may use plain wholemeal flour. I used coconut oil for these muffins, since it has a neutral taste, but you may use extra virgin olive oil, as well.
- • 1 ¾ cup (200 g./ 7oz.) whole wheat emmer flour
- • 1/3 cup (80ml) of coconut oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- • ½ cup (170 g.) maple syrup, or honey
- 2 large eggs
- • 3 medium, ripe bananas (220g / 7.7 oz. approx.)
- • ¼ cup almond milk, or other milk of your choice
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • a few drops of vanilla extract
- • ½ tsp salt
- • 100 g. / 3.5 oz. dark chocolate drops
- Preheat oven to 170o C / 340o F.
- Mix oil with maple syrup or honey in the mixer bowl.
- Add eggs and beat well. Add bananas, milk and whisk.
- Add baking soda, salt and vanilla. Mix.
- Gradually pour flour into the mixture and mix with a spoon until blended.
- Add chocolate drops and mix gently.
- Divide the mixture in muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes. To make sure they are baked, dip a toothpick or a wooden skewer in the center of one of the muffins. If it’s dry, they’re done.