Well, here is the recipe I promised you! Brussels sprouts soup with blue cheese, a truly amazing combination. I’ll tell you one thing, people who never ate sprouts (of course judging by the comments in the previous post the sprouts lovers were more than I expected 🙂 ) tasted it and they were thrilled!
Brussels sprouts are a quite misunderstood vegetable. Those who have read my previous post on their beneficial properties have seen how useful it is. Unfortunately, people are avoiding eating them, but I think it all depends on how you cook everything.
The specific recipe I have made many times. I’ve tried to sauté the sprouts with butter and then with olive oil and ended up that little butter or half butter half oil is the tastiest choice. Sprouts love butter!
I, also, tried to cook it with vegetable broth and chicken broth. The result was delicious both ways, so the choice is yours.
As for the cheese, blue cheese is ideal. The original recipe from “From a Chef’s Kitchen” (excellent blog btw) had ricotta, but because of my love in blue cheese (which I have expressed many times …) I decided to try it. Love at first spoonful! After that I tried mature stilton as well, and it was very tasty; it just might want a little less quantity. Stilton has more intense flavor and aroma. Let’s now see the recipe:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 700 g. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut into 2 or 4 pieces, depending on their size (reserve 4 of them for garnish)
- 1 liter vegetable or chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 40 g. blue cheese
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, roasted
- 4 Brussels sprouts
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion over medium heat and add garlic and sprouts.
- Add the broth, let it boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until sprouts are very tender.
- Add blue cheese and puree the soup until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Slice the 4 reserved sprouts. Heat olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the sprouts for 2-3 minutes. Season to taste.
- Serve in soup plates and garnish with the sprouts slices and some roasted almonds.
- Optionally, you can add a few "crumbs" of blue cheese to garnish.