My friend Th. asked for more chicken recipes. I told myself I should not delay anymore and prepare a recipe at once. 😉 This is a very simple dish, but if you set it on the plate in a different way in can be served in a gathering. It is ideal for those days when you want to make something more special with a few simple ingredients.
You will need about 500 g. chicken fillets, 2 small eggplants and pesto sauce that you can make yourself very easily. You can always use a store-bought. In the original recipe eggplants are fried with some olive oil. I chose to cook them in the oven. Whichever way you choose, be sure to lay them on absorbent paper to dry away the oil.
- 500 g. / 1 lb. chicken fillets
- 2 small eggplants
- 150 g. basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cut the chicken fillets cross into 8 thin slices. Season with salt and pepper and cook them in a nonstick skillet for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden browned.
- Cut the eggplants cross into 8 thin slices. Brush them with olive oil, season with salt and bake in preheated oven at 180 ° C / 356o F, until tender and cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. Lay on absorbent paper towels to dry away the oil.
- In a pan put 4 eggplant slices, spread some of the pesto sauce on top of them and place over the 4 slices of chicken. Spread some of the pesto sauce on the top side of the chicken and continue doing the same with the remaining eggplants.
- Finally, place the last 4 chicken pieces on the eggplant and place a sprig of fresh rosemary on top of it.
- Tie each serving carefully with 2 pieces of string so it won’t fall apart.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake at 180 ° C / 356o F, for about 10-12 minutes. Remove the foil and if necessary cook a little longer to get more color. Serve warm.
- To quickly make the pesto sauce, mix in a food processor the leaves of a bunch of basil, 40 g. grated parmesan cheese, 1 large garlic clove, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 40 g. pine nuts, salt and pepper.