There are ways to have the luxury for an enjoyable, healthy chocolate mousse, without second thoughts and remorse that usually follow after. There are ways to make our diet healthier, without compromising the small pleasures. All you need is to add in your diet some nutrition dense foods.
One of these foods is avocado; this is what this chocolate mousse is made of. Lightweight, highly tasty without the unnecessary fat the usual mousse has, but with the same airy texture; it will satisfy your sweet tooth and do you good!
It is the most simple and easy mousse you will ever make, with the most simple ingredients. The cream I put on top is optional. You can skipit and decorate the mousse with fresh fruits and it will be even more lightweight and refreshing.
I use avocado very often. It is one of the most versatile ingredients for those who watch their diet. You can use it in a thousand ways and always with excellent results. Grab some avocado recipes here.
Apart from its usefulness, it is very beneficial for your health. Avocado is rich in monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids. It helps the body to absorb and utilize valuable nutrients, such as carotenoids, like alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lutein and lycopene, which are in the red, the yellow and orange fruits and in dark green leafy greens. Many rich in carotenoids fruits and vegetables do not contain fat, which can prevent the absorption of certain nutrients. This does not apply for the avocado, which acts as an enhancer of absorption. Keep in mind, however, that the highest concentration of antioxidants are found in greenish part of its flesh, just beneath the skin, so be carefull while you peel it.
Avocados are rich in proteins (4 g. per fruit) containing 18 of the most important aminoacids. It also contains more potassium than bananas (975 mg potassium as opposed to 487mg which is a banana) and it is rich in fiber.
Let’s see the recipe:
Healthy Chocolate Mousse
- • 2 ripe avocados
- • 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- • ½ cup cocoa powder
- • ½ cup milk of your choice(dairy or non-dairy)
- • 1/8 teaspoon salt
- • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- • a few drops of vanilla extract
- • 120 g. dark chocolate*
- • 1 cup non-dairy cream, cold
- • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- • 1-2 drops vanilla extract
- • grated chocolate, or fresh fruit, or chopped nuts
- Add all ingredients for the mousse to the food processor bowl and blend.
- Divide the mousse into serving bowls and place in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the mixer and whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Garnish the mousse with whipped cream, rub some dark chocolate and serve.
- * If you are a fan of the very dark chocolate, like me, use this with 70% cocoa content.