Eating on the beach is a small issue for those who enjoy healthy eating and want to stay fit. In the canteens and the coffee shops of the organized beaches, you cannot find anything healthy to eat and if you have not foreseen, you fall into the trap. But it is not that big of a problem, if you have a program. There are plenty of healthy choices besides a simple toast. This is one more interesting and useful article from Lifeme.gr.
The heat is here for good and excursions to the beach are now imperative. Whether you are in Athens or in the province, visiting the beach is not just for a quick swim, especially if this happens once a week. A day at the beach lasts all day long.
Obviously, you can’t stay with an empty stomach for all day, nor can you consume some of these unhealthy products sold in the closest cafeteria or canteen. Moreover, we advise you not to follow your mum’s tactic to carry a salami or meatballs with you. Instead, we propose a list of healthy snacks that you can safely take with you on the beach:
Healthy Snack Ideas for the Beach
- Savory snacks with a fruit: Breadsticks, crackers, nuts. You have many options to accompany them with a fresh fruit or a juice. All of these can be whole-grained or made from natural materials that will help keep you in shape.
- Pita bread or baguette sandwich: You can prepare your own pita bread with turkey, salmon, chicken or vegetables from the day before, topped with a yogurt-based sauce or low-fat cream cheese.
- Cereal bars: Always a good choice. The only sure thing is that they will keep you full for several hours, and they will offer you all necessary nutrients for the energy consuming seaside sports.
- Nuts: Keep them in a plastic container and make sure you have a variety of nuts. They better be raw and unsalted. Do not overdo it – 3 tablespoons of nuts (about 50 grams) is enough. You can have both dried or fresh fruit, also in moderate portions (the purpose is not to satiate with snacks).
Is it time for your meal? Do not jump into the snacks to cover up your hunger! You can use one of the following as a lunch:
- Egg: A boiled egg with a vegetable (preferably cucumber) and some bread can be your ideal, fast and complete meal.
- Salad: Stir various vegetables; add perhaps some chicken or tuna or nuts (instead of croutons). You can also combine a nice sauce with a bit of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and/or mustard. If you are more traditional, you can also prepare a light version of a salad, with a slice of whole grain bread.
Have a wonderful summer!