How much I enjoy seeing photos of summer fruit desserts on the internet and in cookbooks! All these clafoutis, galettes, tarts, etc., with the intense colors of this season’s fruits, are a foodie’s paradise. When I was younger I did not like fruity desserts; they were not my favorite. But one changes, and I probably changed too, as far desserts are concerned ay least. So I decided to make this lemon – blueberry clafoutis.
Clafoutis is a very quick dessert. Its dough is very similar to that for crepes and the process is more or less the same, but it is finally baked in the oven. It’s a superb breakfast! 😉
I tried this clafoutis with whole wheat emmer flour, which needed a little more liquid in the dough (milk or water) and a wait of about 20 minutes. It certainly does not give the airy effect of all purpose flour, but it won’t be that different. Besides, when using whole wheat flour instead of white processed flour we know in advance about this outcome. Whole wheat flour is a little bit “lighter” than plain whole wheat flour and has higher nutritional value from wheat in general.
- • 2 ½ cups (340 g) fresh blueberries *
- • 5 eggs
- • 1 cup + 1 tablespoon fresh milk 2% fat
- • 3 ½ tablespoons of honey
- • 2 ½ tablespoons (40 grams) of butter, melted
- • 1 ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 3 teaspoons of lemon zest
- • 1 pinch of salt
- • 115 g of whole wheat emmer flour
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, milk, honey, butter, vanilla, zest and salt. Stir in the flour and mix until blended. Leave the dough to rest for about 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175 ° C.
- Butter a small 23-24 cm round pan **. Scatter the blueberries into the pan and spread them evenly. Pour the dough over the blueberries and bake for 30-35 minutes until the clafoutis s set in the center.
**You may use a pan, a pie plate, or a frying pan suitable for oven use, which I find extremely useful.