It’s getting warm here in Athens and I think a refreshing juice is what we need from now on! A lemonade with mint and/or spearmint syrup; a refreshing, cooling drink, perfect for hot summer afternoons in the garden or the terrace.
The truth is that I haven’t cook for a while something from the long list that I want you to see. For some time now my other hobby, iconography, needs all of my attention and all the time I can spare. For three years I’m having byzantine iconography classes and every June we organize an exhibition to show our progress 🙂 So until I finish these obligations, I have to limit my blog posts. Painting needs dedication and endless hours of work.
This lemonade, I made it yesterday, in a break. I have a particular weakness in lemon and its sour taste does not bother me at all. I can drink a lemon juice without any sweetener. But with this syrup added, it was even better! Please note that we are not talking about classic sugar syrup. I made with stevia, but it can certainly be done with sugar. All you need is to melt the stevia / sugar and the syrup to cool. Another weakness of mine, however, is peppermint and spearmint. It was a real pleasure to drink this aromatic juice in my blooming garden. So I thought I had to prepare it for you, as well.
Lemon although acidic, it creates alkaline bases in body fluids and helps restore the pH balance. It is very rich in vitamin C and flavonoids, which work against viral infections such as influenza and colds. Vitamin C, also helps to neutralize free radicals responsible for aging and for most diseases. Moreover, lemon has antibacterial properties, it clean the intestines, is a tonic for the liver, dissolve uric acid and other poisons and liquefy the bile.
- • the juice of 5-6 lemons
- • ¼ - ½ cup water *
- • ¼ - ½ cup crystallised stevia**
- • the leaves from 4 sprigs of fresh mint and 4 sprigs of fresh spearmint ***
- In a saucepan heat water and stevia until it dissolves completely.
- Beat lightly the leaves of herbs with a pestle and pour them into the hot syrup, after you remove it from heat. Cover and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain.
- Serve the lemon juice into glasses, add as much syrup as desired, ice cubes and decorate with a sprig of mint.
- * The smallest proportion that I give you is strictly for two servings, but if you are very sweet person 😉 it might not be enough. For me it was all I needed.
- ** (1: 1 ratio with sugar). You can, also, make the syrup with granulated sugar.In that case you can prepare a larger quantity and keep it in the refrigerator for later use.
- *** It is not necessary to use both herbs; simply follow the ratios.
Πηγή – Source: