Cereal bars with great taste. A sweet snack that will fill you with energy and keep you full for hours. I am really very happy when I make such recipes. It is one of my favorite creations, because it is the most practical snack. They can be eaten throughout the day, at breakfast, in the office, before and / or after the gym, whenever you want. Bars with oats, whole flour, dates, yoghurt and homemade applesauce, that is. They are perfect snack without lots of sugar.
I have noticed that you really like dates. The article on the nutritional information of dates and recipes that include this special, exotic fruit is usually among the most popular articles of the blog. And, of course, you are absolutely right! Being rich in fiber, dates prevent the absorption of LDL cholesterol from the intestine. The insoluble and soluble fiber they contain, help in clearing the gastrointestinal system, helping the bowel to work more efficiently, and satisfy our hunger for hours. Their substantial quantity of magnesium makes them a very valuable food for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease and other diseases associated with inflammation. Dates are also rich in calcium, manganese, iron and copper, and they contain adequate amounts of B vitamins, vitamin A and vitamin K. They immediately offer energy in large quantities, which can develop into an advantage or disadvantage, depending on the frequency and the quantity dates are consumed. 100 g. of dates give 274 calories derived primarily from carbohydrates (60 g) and this is why they should be eaten in moderation.
On the other hand, apples contain an exceptional combination of nutrients which provide particular benefits to health. A medium apple (160gr) provide significant amounts of fiber, potassium and flavonoids, soluble and insoluble fiber, and are rich in powerful antioxidants, such as vitamin C, quercetin, catechins, chlorogenic acid, etc. Flavonoids, which are contained in high concentrations in apples, are also substances with strong antioxidant capabilities. The fiber content of these bars further increase with whole meal flour and oats. We are talking about a super-snack!
If you decide to use readymade applesauce, keep in mind that they usually contain sugar, so you may have to reduce the sugar in the recipe.
I cut oatmeal bars into 9 pieces, but they are very hearty. You can actually cut them in 12 pieces. The nutritional facts are calculated for this amount of servings.
Preparation time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup / 8.8oz homemade unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup / 5oz chopped dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup / 4oz whole meal flour
- 1 cup / 3.2oz oat flakes
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup / 2.7oz brown sugar
- 1/3 cup / 2.7oz Stevia (in 1: 1 ratio with sugar)
- 4oz butter, melted
- 2oz Greek yoghurt, 2% fat
- Prepare the filling, placing all ingredients in a saucepan, over medium heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking. Melt the mixture with a puree tool and leave aside to cool while preparing the crust
- Preheat oven to 190o C / 375o Moisten a piece of greaseproof paper, drain well and set it in a square pan 24X24cm / 9.5X9.5in.
- Prepare the dough, by stirring in a bowl the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl beat sugar, stevia, butter and yogurt with an electric mixer, on high speed for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until combined. You should have crumbly dough. You are on track! 🙂
- Keep 1 cup / 3.8oz from the mixture of the dough. Lay a plastic wrap on a baking sheet and spread over the 1 cup of the dough after crumbling it with your hands. Put it in the freezer until needed.
- Lay the remaining dough on your baking pan and spread evenly. Apply dates mixture and spread evenly.
- Pour over the crumble that you have put in the freezer evenly over the filling.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow the bars to cool completely in the pan. Once cool remove them carefully and cut them into pieces.
And your oatmeal bars with dates are ready! Store in an airtight container for 1 week.
Nutritional Facts per Serving
|Calories||Carbohydrates||Sugars||Total Fat||Saturated Fat||Proteins||Dietary Fibers||Cholesterol|