Yes, I know … this recipe is a bit “unconventional”. Many of you will be surprised by the combination of ingredients. Pizza with onions, anchovies and olives … I was too. … When I read the recipe for Pissaladiere (that’s her name), I was surprised. Pissaladiere is a traditional specialty of Southern France, particularly Nice, where it is typically eaten at street fares. As a matter of fact, in the original recipe, the layer of onion should have the same thickness as the dough does.
So after the first surprise after reading the recipe, I thought that is a very interesting combination. The onions are cooked approximately 1 hour. They are actually caramelized without adding sugar, so the sweetness comes and suits the salty taste of anchovies. The truth is that during the preparation of the recipe you should be very careful with salt. Those who do not do well with salty food, try to reduse the saltiness by wash out the anchovies, and olives with water. But I will tell you this: it is an excellent snack with a glass of chilled white wine or ouzo.
The other “unconventional” thing about this post is the pizza dough. I did not make this dough as recipe states, which is essentially a bread dough. I tried a recipe I met a lot lately and I was really intrigued of it. This pizza dough is prepared in 5 minutes. Yes !! Not much kneading or baking or kneading again, etc. And the best thing about it? It has only two ingredients, self-rising flour and Greek strained yogurt. I added a little dried tarragon to the dough, which fits well with the onion and it was perfect! To tell you the truth I a little afraid … I wasn’t sure of making pizza dough with these two ingredients, but I was so curious to try it! And the comments I read on the internet was all positive. So I decided to make it. And I loved it!! I rolled it very thin because this is how I like pizza dough. I even made another small pizza with the dough left Baked beautifully and was crisp and nice! I suggest you try it. It is a very practical solution for last minute pizza dough.
It should tell you that anchovies, though snubbed by many, they belong in the category of fish containing omega-3 fatty acids, a type of fat that reduces the risk of blood clots and acts as a safeguard to the heart. Onions being rich in biotin (which helps in the metabolism of fat and sugar) and phytonutrients such as polyphenols, help to detoxify the respiratory system and the fight against asthma, bronchitis, allergic rhinitis, and diabetes. Let us now look at the recipe and stop babbling:
Preparation time: 1 hour & 30 minutes
Servings: 8 pieces
For the dough
- 1 ½ cup self-raising flour alone (you might need some more)
- 1 cup Greek strained yogurt, 2% fat
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
For the topping
- 1 kilo (2.2lb) onions, peeled and cut into very thin slices
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dry marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 25 g. anchovy paste (half a 50gr tube)
- 12 – 14 anchovy fillets
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- some more freshly ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and season with salt. Cover and leave to cook for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover, add the herbs and pepper and allow cooking until the liquid has evaporated and onions are tender, like jam, about 30-40 minutes more. Do not forget to stir.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400o F).
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough in a bowl. Do not take in all the flour at once. You may not need it all, or it may take a little more. Knead until a soft , non-sticky dough is formed. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to the size and shape you want. Transfer dough into a lightly greased pizza pan.
- Spread a very thin layer of anchovy paste (about half a tube of 50gr. as I write above)
- Spread onions evenly over the anchovy paste.
- Decorate with anchovy fillets and olives and pour some more freshly ground pepper. (As I said before you can wash out the salt from anchovies and olives).
- Bake the pizza for about 15-20 minutes or long enough to cook the dough according to your preference.
Serve the pizza with onions, anchovies and olives warm or at room temperature. Enjoy with a glass of chilled white wine!
Nutritional Facts per Serving
|Calories||Carbohydrates||Sugars||Total Fat||Saturated Fat||Proteins||Dietary Fibers|