Happy New Year everyone!
After a necessary break for me, I return with a new recipe, which comes to perfect timing with this cold weather here in Greece. I have a pumpkin & rice soup with wild mushrooms for you, a wonderful and filling soup with different textures.
It’s really very filling. I say this to all of you who are afraid that you will not be satisfied with a soup. :D. I know that plenty of you feel like this and I will not stop saying that yes, you can be full with a soup, as long as you enrich it with the right ingredients.
This pumpkin soup, discreetly flavored with various spices and saffron, is accompanied by sautéed wild mushrooms, which are cooked separately, and is a complete dish.
If you want more ideas for soups click here.
Pumpkin & Rice Soup with Mushrooms
Healthy, delicious and filling pumpkin & rice soup with mushrooms
- • 650gr. pumpkin, cut into medium pieces
- • 80g rice of your choice (I used basmati)
- • 125ml kefir (use plant-based yogurt if you are vegan)
- • 450ml chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you are vegan), preferably homemade
- • 1 clove
- • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- • ¼ tsp nutmeg
- • the zest of ½ an orange
- • a pinch of saffron stamens
- • salt, pepper
- • a little olive oil, for garnish
- • chopped parsley, for garnish
- • hemp seeds, for garnish (optional)
- • 240gr. fresh white or brown mushrooms, sliced
- • 50gr. dried wild mushrooms
- • 1 large clove of garlic, grated
- • 1 tbsp olive oil
- • 1 heaped tbsp chopped parsley
- • salt, pepper
Put wild mushrooms in a bowl, pour lukewarm water over them, cover them and leave them to soak for about 15 minutes. Drain them and press them carefully to get the water out.
Boil the rice for 10 minutes in lightly salted water and drain.
Put the pumpkin, broth, kefir and spices in a saucepan and simmer until the pumpkin is soft. Puree the mixture with a hand blender.
Meanwhile, prepare the mushrooms by sautéing them all in a pan with the olive oil, over medium to high heat. Once they soften and begin to brown, add the garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Once they have beautiful color, remove from heat and leave them aside.
Add the rice to the mashed soup and bring to a boil for a minute. Season with salt and pepper and add the orange zest and saffron.
Serve in a deep dish, garnish with mushrooms, more parsley and sprinkle with olive oil. If you want, sprinkle with a few hemp seeds.
2.4g Saturated fat
10.5g Unsaturated fat
If your pumpkin is frozen and thawed it will soften very quickly. If your soup thickens, add a bit of water or broth and bring to a quick boil.
The recipe for this pumpkin & rice soup is adapted by Cuisine Actuelle magazine.