Cherries are a sure sign that summer is here for good. It is here along with the heat, the heat wave. And what else can we do, than to look out for ways to cool down. Preferably tasty ones! You will love this easy cherry limeade; Firstly because it is so tasty and refreshing and secondly because it’s easy and fast. I won’t tell you anything about its color and smell. You’ll see for yourself.
Juicy cherries are one of the most beneficial fruits, protect our heart and have strong antioxidant activity. Cherries contain vitamins A and C, and potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron (hence recommended in people with anemia problem), copper and fiber. They also contain abundant anthocyanins, chemicals that reduce glucose levels in patients with diabetes. Apart from all these but also have antiseptic properties against inflammations and infections. Addition of cherry juice is a potent antibacterial against caries as suppresses by 89% the activity of enzymes that lead to the formation of the slab initial symptom of the disease. Simultaneously have antioxidant properties and are considered digestives and laxatives and shield against heart disease and various cancers. Finally, it is considered as an ideal food for people suffering from arthritis and rheumatism, kidney stones and cystitis. Cherries are a valuable ally in times of diet because the carbohydrates contained in them satisfy our need for sweet without imparting many calories.
Limes are more acidic than lemon but both have the same nutrients. The most prominent benefits are:
- Vitamin C: It is excellent for the immune system. Lemons are a third more vitamin C than limes. A glass of warm water with lemon or lime juice and a spoonful of honey is ideal for colds and coughs.
- Stomach: The lemon or lime juice helps in the digestion process and so it is recommended after a heavy meal.
- Blood Pressure: The lime juice is a good source of potassium which controls the rate of heart function and reduces the risk of hypertension.
- Antitumor properties: citrates containing compounds seem to combat cancer stomach, lung, breast and skin. The limonene is detected in the body even 24 hours after the consumption while when derived from other foods stays only 4-6.
- Loss: Water with lemon or lime and a spoonful of honey early in the morning before you eat or drink something else, burn fat and detoxify.
- Gums: Loss of vitamin C causes gum disease. Regular consumption of lemon and lime in any form keeps gums healthy.
- Complexion: The antioxidant and antibiotic properties of lime rejuvenate the skin and protect against infections. The rind of the lemon when rubbed on the skin, moisturize. Drink often lemon juice with water and get youthful skin without spots.
All you have to do is put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor. What takes a little time (about 10 minutes is) to remove the pits from cherries. What we must keep in mind is that it is better to drink it the same day, because the next day the bitterness from the lime peel might have come out, because you drop that in blender, as well. Although I do not think it is possible to have a leftover ….
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 3 cups cherries, pitted
- 2 limes, quartered
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey, maple syrup, honey, or 3/4 cups sugar
- ice cubes
- some cherries an some slices of lime to decorate
- Pour cherries, sugar and 2 cups of water in the blender or food processor.
- Add 1 lime cut into quarters and the pith of the second, removing the peel with a knife. Discard the peel.
- Blend all ingredients together until they are pureed.
- Strain the juice and add the remaining water through the strainer.
- Serve cold with ice cubes, or without.
Notes: If you do not drink your juice with ice, you may need to add some more water.
I have not tried it yet, but I guess it will be as enjoyable if you use sparkling water. If you try it let me know the outcome!
Try the lime juice with cherries with your cocktails, adding some vodka or tequila.
Nutritional Facts per Serving
|Calories||Carbohydrates||Sugars||Total Fat||Saturated Fat||Proteins||Dietary Fibers|