Inspired by our traditional stuffed vegetables “gemista”, these stuffed peppers with quinoa and feta are a summery, delicious and very nutritious dish, suitable for those who avoid gluten. It contains many nutrients, and you will find it out reading the recipe.
I used red and orange peppers. It goes without saying that you can make it with whatever color you want. Besides, peppers are one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables, when it comes to vitamin C and beta-carotene (also known as provitamin A). The redder the pepper the more beta-carotene it contains. This delicious dish is a mix of protein, fiber, iron, calcium, monounsaturated fats and as I already said, vitamin C and A. Take a look at the nutrition facts table below.
Although this recipe does not involve any sauce, the dish is not at all dry. If you are not the type of quinoa make them with rice. I’m sure you will love them!
- • 4 large bell peppers
- • ¾ cup quinoa
- • 1 ½ cup of water
- • ¼ teaspoon of salt
- • ½ cup slivered almonds, roasted
- • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- • 2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- • 300 g baby spinach (or tender leaves of spinach without the stalks)
- • ¼ cup raisins
- • ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (plus 1/3 cup for garnish)
- • ½ teaspoon mixture of dry basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, mint
- • salt, pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220 ° C.
- Cut the peppers lengthwise into two pieces and seed them. Place them in a baking pan and roast, uncovered, for about 15 minutes. Remove them from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, rinse quinoa under running water thoroughly . Put 1 ½ cup of water and salt to boil and add quinoa. Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, until water is absorbed. Uncover and set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil to moderate heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring, until golden brown. Stir in the garlic.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes until wilted and liquid is evaporated.
- Remove from heat and add the feta, raisins, roasted almonds, quinoa, herbs, a bit of salt and pepper. Stir.
- Spoon the stuffing in the peppers and garnish with the remaining feta.
- Add ½ cup of water in the baking dish and roast the peppers, at 220o C, for about 15 minutes, until the feta browns lightly.