Here I am! Wasn’t away too long, was I? Vacation is over and everyone returns in everyday life. Although I can not say I had enough rest, but that’s another veryyy long story. I hope you managed to escape for a while, recharge your batteries and be ready for savory donuts with cheese and herbs, with spicy spread! These donuts are a super savory snack even without the spread,but combined they are a delicious combination!
I had in my mind to try to make homemade doughnuts, but I thought of these mouthwatering sweet donuts with glaze and wonderful garnish. But just as I made a list of possible recipes, I came up with this crazy thought of trying to make a savory version. And after 2-3 tests, the experiment succeeded 🙂 That special silicone doughnut mould, by Silikomart, which was kindly sent to me to try, helped me a lot. Baked doughnuts are are a piece of cake this way! With this mold you can make six medium doughnuts and the recipe I give you is a 10-minute one. You’ll need another 3 minutes to make the spread 😉
Savory Cheese & Herb Doughnuts with Spicy Spread
- • 1 cup + 3 tablespoons (140 g.) all-purpose flour, sifted
- • ½ teaspoon baking soda
- • ½ teaspoon baking powder
- • 1 scant tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- • ½ tsp mixture of dried Mediterranean herbs *
- • ¼ - ½ teaspoon salt (depending on how salty the cheese is)
- • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- • 2 large eggs
- • 45 g. butter, melted
- • ½ cup (45 g.) grated kefalotyri, or another hard and with intense flavor cheese of your choice (ie. parmiggiano)
- • about ½ cup buttermilk (may not need all)
- • 120 g. low fat cream cheese
- • ½ teaspoon steak seasoning**
- • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking poder, baking soda, herbs, eggs, cheese and melted butter and mix.
- Add buttermilk and mix. I used ½ cup but you better add gradually. You should eventually have a tight mush.
- Divide the batter in the doughnut mold, either by using a piping bag with a wide, straight nose, or by using two spoons. The first way is more "clean" and fast.
- Sprinkle the donuts with some more grated cheese and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. They won’t take a golden color easily. You’ll be sure they’re set when they spring back when touched.
- In a bowl, melt the cream cheese with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- * The mixture of herbs and spices I used contains sea salt, coriander, sesame, linseed, thyme, mint, oregano, dill, fennel, black pepper, pink pepper, ginger, rosemary, cardamom. You can make your own mix or use some equivalent.
- ** The steak seasoning that I used is store bought and contains black pepper, onion, salt, mustard seeds, chilli, cumin, oregano, garlic, ginger.