I wanted to prepare today’s recipe for a long time; savory cookies with Grana Padano DOP and herbs, a perfect snack to accompany a glass of wine. My mother used to make such delicious savory cookies when I was a child and I loved them. So it’s time for them to take their place on my blog, along with other of my favorite recipes.
I twisted my mom’s recipe a bit. I added a mixture of fresh herbs and for the hero of the recipe I chose Grana Padano DOP, one of the most famous Italian cheeses, for its unique taste.
A few words about Grana Padano DOP
Grana Padano DOP was created almost 900 years ago by the Cistercian monks of the monastery of Chiaravalle, near Milan. It is a hard cheese, slow maturing, semi-fat, with a protected designation of origin and a shelf life of up to 2 years. The milk used in its preparation comes only from the valley of the river Po, and enters the production process at the time it is collected from the stables of the partners. Approximately 150 million liters of milk are utilized per year from this particular area, which ensures the freshness of the raw material.
Grana Padano DOP is a cheese with excellent nutritional properties, flexible to a variety of nutritional needs. It contains proteins of high biological value in high concentration, respectively nutritious with milk, but in concentrated form. In addition, frequent consumption of Grana Padano DOP increases the daily intake of minerals, a vital part of a balanced diet. It is an important source of vitamins A, B2, B12, while it is completely free of carbohydrates and lactose due to the long aging period, so it is extremely digestible, ideal for people suffering from lactose intolerance.
In addition to its unquestionable taste, Grana Padano DOP is a “versatile” cheese, a cheese that can be used in a thousand and two recipes, with sure success!
Savory Cookies with Grana Padano DOP & Herbs
Savory Cookies with fresh herbs and Grana Padano Dop. An excellent wine accompaniment and a wonderful savory snack.
- • 150gr. cold butter, in small cubes
- • 180gr. all purpose flour
- • 150gr. Grana Padano DOP, grated
- • 2 eggs, beaten
- • 2 ½ tablespoons mixture of chopped fresh herbs*
- • the zest of 1 small lemon
- • ¼ teaspoon of salt
- • 1 pinch of black pepper
- • 1 beaten egg, for brushing the cookies
- • extra Grana Padano DOP, for sprinkling
- • fresh herbs, for garnish (optional)
1. Put butter, flour and Grana Padano in the bowl of the mixer and mix until finely crumbly.
2. Add the eggs, herbs, zest, salt and pepper and knead until the dough is formed.
3. Form the dough into a ball, flatten it into a disc, wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Remove wrap and roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, in a sheet 6-8mm thick. Cut into the desired shape, using a cookie cutter, and place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with non-stick paper.
5. Brush cookies with the beaten egg and sprinkle with extra Grana Padano. If you want, garnish with fresh herbs.
6. Bake the savory cookies in a preheated oven, at 180o C, for 15-18 minutes, until they golden.
7. Let them cool completely and enjoy them with a glass of your favorite wine.
* I used sage, rosemary, chives, oregano, marjoram and thyme.