Happy New Year to all! After a small, but necessary for me, break, I’m slowly returning back to daily routine. So, I’m back in the blogsphere with a recipe for a light, easy, and quick dessert, with just a few ingredients. Orange roll with walnuts; ideal for your afternoon coffee or tea.
The sponge cake for the roll is made with only a few eggs and finelly chopped walnuts, which makes it very special, healthier and very aromatic. On the other hand, the whipped cream is made with non-dairy cream, which contains much less fat and is a bit sweeter than normal, thus needs less or no sugar at all. To scent your dessert, you have several options: use orange zest combined with orange liqueur, which is the easiest, or orange essence, which you find in big supermarkets, in combination with cognac. Just be careful, do not combine orange essence with orange liqueur because the result would be excessive. The addition of chopped fresh orange spoon sweet into the cream completes the dessert and matches wonderfully with the taste left by walnuts.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
For the sponge cake
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts (almost powder)
- 4 eggs, separate the egg whites and yolks
- ½ cup sugar or stevia (in proportion to the sugar 1: 1)
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the cream:
- 330ml non-dairy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar or stevia (optional)
- 2 drops of orange essence, or the zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, or brandy
- 3 tablespoons drained and chopped orange spoon sweet, or candied orange peels, chopped + 1 tablespoon extra for decoration.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/360o Lay a baking pan with dimensions 22X30 cm. with parchment paper and grease it well.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until they become meringue.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture becomes white. Add the walnuts and stir.
- Pour the meringue into the mixture of walnuts and stir gently with a spatula.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan and lay evenly. Bake for 15 to 16 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and carefully remove it from the pan along with the paper. Flip again carefully in a clean towel and turn it into a roll. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile beat the non-dairy cream until it thickens. Pour the sugar or stevia (if using) and the orange essence or zest and continue beating until the cream becomes fluffy. Finally, add the orange pieces and the liqueur and stir some more.
- Carefully unfold the roll. Spread half the amount of the cream on the inside of the roll and the rest spread abroad to decorate. Finally, apply to surface the rest of the orange spoon sweet pieces and refrigerate until serving.
So, simply and quickly, you have the orange roll with walnuts ready to enjoy it !!
Nutritional Facts per Serving
|Calories||Carbohydrates||Sugars||Total Fat||Saturated Fat||Proteins||Dietary Fibers||Cholesterol|