What do you do if you suddenly find yourself with a greater amount of cooked chickpeas than you need? This happened to me too after I boiled twice the amount of chickpeas … accidentally. So, I had to find something to do all these chickpeas. Instead of making hummus again, which I had made again recently, I tried to find a more unusual recipe. And I came across these spicy chickpeas which are great accompanying your drink, without all the fat that ready-made salty snacks have. It is a healthy snack, ideal foe vegans and vegetarians. It is rich in protein, monounsaturated fats, potassium and sodium.
The recipe is simple and of course can easily be adapted to your own liking. Make sure your chickpeas are dry and have no moisture from cooking. If you don’t have time, let the roast a little extra time in the oven. I used the spices I love; you can replace them with others that you like better. You can still omit a spice you don’t like, or you can add some dry herbs. In order to prepare them you don’t need more than 5 minutes (if you have ready cooked chickpeas), just remember to let them stand for about 1 hour, after taking them out of the oven, before you enjoy them with your drink.
It is best to consume them in a few days. They stay in airtight container about a week, but after 3-4 days they are no longer as crisp, although they keep their flavor.
Preparation time: 35-40 minutes
Servings: yields approx. 1 ½ cup spicy roasted chickpeas*
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked (about 9oz.)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chile powder
- ¾ teaspoon curry powder, medium
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400o F).
- Mix all the spices and salt in a bowl.
- Pour the olive oil in a nonstick pan and heat it over medium heat. Once warm add the spices to the pan and lower the heat. Mix the spices for a minute and then pour the chickpeas.
- Cook them for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. We want all the chickpeas to coat evenly with spices.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. When the chickpeas are ready, move them into the baking sheet and spread them in a single layer.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. After the first 20 minutes you should stir them so they cook evenly. When the chickpeas are nicely browned and crisp, take them off the oven.
- Taste them in case they need a little more salt. Let stand for about 1 hour before serving, or place them in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Riffs.
- Nutritional information is calculated for the entire amount of spicy roasted chickpeas.
Nutritional Facts per Serving
|Calories||Carbohydrates||Sugars||Total Fat||Saturated Fat||Proteins||Dietary Fibers|