I ‘ve promised you this recipe in the article on the benefits of pumpkin and because I am a girl who keeps her prominses, here it is: Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds, an easy, tasty and very healthy salty snack. You must read why you should not throw away the pumpkin seeds here. You will be surprised how good they are for our body!
So, you bought a pumpkin, you wasted so much time to peel it and now what? You’ ll throw away the seeds? The most important part of the vegetable? Of course not! You will separate the seeds from the pumkin’s fibers, you will wash them well under running water in a colander, you’’ ll spread them on a clean towel to dry and then enjoy them, either raw, or roasted by following my recipe or make your own spice combinations. If the seeds are from a relatively small pumpkin, you might as well eat them as it is, without removing the shell. If the pumpkin is big, and so are the seeds, it’s probably best to eat shelled.
Doing an internet research, I read that one way to properly salted pumpkin seeds is to boil them briefly in salted water before roasting them. I think they are absolutely right.
- • ½ cup pumpkin seeds (seeds of a medium pumpkin)
- • 2 cups water
- • 1 tablespoon salt
- • ½ tablespoon olive oil
- • ½ tsp salt
- • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- • ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- • dried garlic powder, to taste (optional)
- In a small saucepan, in medium heat, add water and salt. Add pumpkin seeds and boil for 10 minutes. Strain the seeds and spread them on a towel to dry.
- Preheat the oven to 160 ° C / 320o F and line a pan with greaseproof paper.
- In a bowl add the seeds and the remaining ingredients and mix well until seeds are well coated.
- Spread the seeds out over the roasting pan in a single layer and bake 20-30 minutes, until lightly browned. The time it takes depends on the size of the seeds. Every 10 minutes toss them and spread them out into the pan.
- Once cooked, remove the pan from the oven and let the seeds cool down before you taste them.