It has been a long time since I first thought of making veggie chips. Previously I had tried a couple of times, but fried. But I wanted to find an easy and quick way for vegie chips cooked in the oven. So I collected various vegetables, I got my mandolin and began to cut slices. I think this way that I suggest today is a very good solution for tasty and healthy chips to accompany a drink or refreshment.
The vegetables I used are potatoes, sweet potatoes (red and white) and red beets which I cut them finely. A mandolin I think it is essential, unless you have become an expert in knife … 😉 You should use whatever vegetables you like. Note that each one wants different cooking time, so you should keep your eyes open and stay near the oven. Sweet potatoes cooked faster (they need 15 to 17 minutes), potatoes and beets needed more baking (20 to 22 minutes) with beetroot 1-2 minutes longer than the potatoes. If you remove the pan from the oven believing that the chips are ready, but eventually find that are soft, put them back in the oven, they will not spoil.
For sweet potatoes we have not spoken until now. They are high in vitamin B6 and vitamin C, which in addition to protecting us from influenza viruses, plays an important role in the formation of bones and teeth, digestion and the formation of blood cells. It helps to accelerate the healing of wounds, produce collagen, which helps to maintain skin elasticity and helps manage stress. It seems to help protect our body against toxins that may be linked to cancer. Sweet potatoes also contain vitamin D, which is vital to the immune system and general health, iron, magnesium and potassium. Their rich orange color indicates that they are high in carotenoids, like beta-carotene and other carotenoids that are most active precursors of vitamin A in our body. Carotenoids help strengthen our vision and our immune system. They are powerful antioxidants that help against cancer and aging. So sharpen your knives and let’s make some chips!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 white sweet potato scrubbed and dried, peel on
- 1 red sweet potatoscrubbed and dried, peel on
- 1 potato scrubbed and dried, peel on
- 1 beetroot scrubbed and dried, peels on
- olive oil
- In a nonstick skillet roast sesame seeds.
- Put seeds in a bowl, add the remaining ingredients of za’atar and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400 ° F.
- Lay the oven trays with greaseproof paper.
- Cut vegetables on mandolin, into very thin slices. Cut the beetroot last so it won’t paint your other vegetables.
- Put the sliced vegetables in a bowl and oil them slightly with olive oil or coat them with an oil spray.
- Spread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with za’atar.
- Bake the chips until crisp (see above the time needed for each vegetable). You may need to turn the pan into the oven to bake the chips evenly. When dark spots appear on the chips, they are ready.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool. You may have to return some chips to the oven if necessary, if they are not cooked properly.
Πηγή – Source: