Today’s proposal is beautiful and colorful biscuits the ones that make your day! Light, with only a few ingredients and easy to prepare, they are ideal to accompany your coffee or your tea. These walnuts and cherry biscuits contain sugar, a small amount of course.
The method of preparation is different from the classic cookies and the way of baking them is much like that of biscotti. In essence, we make a meringue and then mixed it with all remaining ingredients. The only requirement is that we have to bake the biscuits twice. We prepare and bake them the one day, freeze them, and the next day we slice the cake and bake again.
The cherries I used in this recipe is candied or glace cherries. Regarding the flour, I used the one I‘ve told several times before, in the recipes for breadsticks with Greek herbs and homemade digestive cookies; it is the organic whole meal emmer flour. You can make these biscuits with plain whole wheat flour, of course.
Walnuts and Cherry Biscuits
- • the whites of 3 large eggs
- • ½ cup (110 g. /3.9 oz.) icing sugar
- • 1 cup (100 g. /3.5 oz.) whole wheat emmer flour
- • ¾ cup (175 g. /6.2 oz.) walnuts cut in two
- • ½ cup (85g. /3 oz.) candied (glace) cherries
- • a few drops of vanilla extract
- Wash the syrup off cherries and dry thoroughly. Cut them in two.
- Preheat the oven to 180o C / 350o F.
- Beat the egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form and then gradually beat in sugar. Turn off the mixer when the meringue is glossy and firm.
- Pour into the meringue all remaining ingredients and stir gently with a spatula.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased loaf pan 18X8 cm/3X7 in and bake for about 30 minutes until golden and firm to touch.
- Allow to cool in the pan. Once completely cool, cover with foil and place in the freezer overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 150 ° C.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and immediately cut the cake into very thin slices and place them on a baking tray.
- Bake biscuits for about 35 minutes, until light and golden brown.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
- Serve cherry and walnuts biscuits with coffee or tea, or even ice cream 😉