Cold soups are one of my favorite summer dishes. They are not just refreshing, but require little or no cooking (which is very important during a heat wave) and are very nutritious. Today’s recipe is a white gazpacho, a cold soup that is, with cucumber, almonds and grey mullet bottarga powder.
This is my own version of the classic Spanish recipe White Gazpacho, or otherwise, “Ajo Blanco”, which means white garlic. And, as you understand, yes it has garlic, a shallot, a little bit of vinegar and some stale bread which, along with almonds gives “volume” in the soup, while cucumber gives it the necessary coolness. In some of the variations of the recipe you will come across the use of grape instead of cucumber. I will definitely try it sometime. For a little more intense flavor, I added 2 small chili peppers and some grey mullet bottarga powder and the result was thrilling!
Bottarga’s nutritional value
Trikalinos grey mullet bottarga powder is dehydrated and grated bottarga produced exclusively from mullet eggs; a food of high nutritional value.
The results of a survey conducted in 2006 in collaboration of Trikalinos company and the Food Laboratory of Harokopio University, showed that the grey mullet bottarga contains high amounts of protein and energy, high levels of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, a high concentration of omega-3 fat and a healthy lipid profile reported in the ratio omega-3 / omega-6 fatty acids. Furthermore, the lipids of grey mullet bottarga showed inhibitory effect on the establishment of atherosclerotic plaques. The consumption of 10 g. grey mullet bottarga powder gives us 0,43 gr. of Omega 3 fatty acids, which contribute to the proper functioning of the heart and brain, and in the maintenance of vision.
Grey mullet bottarga powder is the most economical option for enjoying this amazing delicacy. Use it as a “seasoning” (i.e. only a pinch). It is served beautifully with boiled or grilled fish, vegetables or seafood risotto, pasta, salads, boiled eggs and omelets, boiled vegetables etc. Trikalinos company deemed top in the production of grey mullet bottarga, which is recognized at home and abroad, by the best chefs and has won international awards. Visit the company’s site and see for yourself.
Almonds nutritional value
Almonds, on the other hand, are the most dense nutrient type nut. Just 1/4 cup of almonds has almost as much calcium as 1/4 cup milk, so almonds are an important opponent of osteoporosis. Also, a handful of almonds contain 35% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals and prevents the formation of plaque. Finally, they have anti-aging, anti-inflammatory and healing properties. It is an excellent source of magnesium, a good source of protein and fiber, and offers potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron and polyunsaturated fats.
It is obvious how nourishing and energizing this white gazpacho with grey mullet bottarga powder is. Let’s see the recipe:
White Gazpacho with Bottarga Powder
- • 1 ¼ cup (170 g. / 6 oz.) almonds, preferably blanched, soaked in water the night before
- • crumbs of ½ stale baguette (70 g. / 2.5 oz.)
- • 3 small cucumbers, cut into pieces
- • ¼ cup olive oil
- • 2 cloves garlic
- • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- • 1 shallot
- • 2 small hot red peppers
- • about 1 cup vegetable broth, preferably homemade
- • 1 pickled cucumber, cut into very thin slices, for garnish
- • Trikalinos grey mullet bottarga powder, for garnish
- Soak bread crumb in water for 10 minutes and then squeeze water off.
- Peel almonds if you have not bought blanched.
- Add all the ingredients into the bowl of the food processor and puree them. Start with ½ cup vegetable broth and add just enough to bring the soup to the desired consistency.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper. When done pour soup through sieve and then blend again solids.
- Freeze the soup for at least 1-2 hours before serving.
- Serve white gazpacho with grey mullet bottarga powder, garnished with very thin slices of pickled cucumber and Trikalinos grey mullet bottarga.