Birthday dinner, part 2 … Today I’m sharing the recipe of the second appetizer, spicy wild mushrooms on mature cheese; easy, quick and delicious canapés, a perfect accompaniment to your wine. You had a sneak peek of it at the photos of my previous post.
Mushrooms are an excellent food, rich in high quality protein (and therefore can replace meat and are ideal food for vegetarians), fiber, vitamins, minerals, and have a low caloric value because they contain small amounts of fat and carbohydrates. Specifically, mushrooms contain B vitamins, vitamin D (essential for calcium absorption), phosphorus, calcium, selenium, zinc, copper and potassium (and are low in sodium).
On the other hand, mushrooms are a food most people like. This particular recipe seems to be a sophisticated appetizer, but if you think about, it is nothing more than sautéed mushrooms on cheese. With a little imagination we can create very beautiful and original dishes and pleasantly surprise our guests.
As I have already said, under the Food Blog Awards 2015, I cook and serve with IKEA’s utensils and tableware, which you all see in the photos. For this dinner table, the runners, the dishes (I really love these black dishes!!), the serving stand with the cap and the plant pots completed the simple but beautiful decoration of the table and contributed to the cozy atmosphere I was seeking. I was really thrilled with the pan I used in my cooking. Heavy, cast iron, diffuses heat evenly and gives an excellent result. Beyond this, however, I thought I’d show you some food from the store, which characterize it and with which you can easily and quickly build sophisticated dishes. OST PRAST is a semi-hard yellow cheese you can find in the refrigerators of IKEA food store. Its full flavor matches the spicy mushrooms, which is finished with white wine. It is the perfect base for this appetizer.
Total time: 30 minutes
- 30 g. (1 oz.) dried wild mushrooms
- 3 small fresh onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 125 ml dry white wine
- 80 ml of water which will hydrate the mushrooms
- ¼ bunch fresh parsley
- 1 / 8- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you want it)
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- 300 gr. IKEA’s OST PRAST yellow mature cheese,or an other mature yellow cheese of your choice.
- Soak the mushrooms in tepid water for 15 minutes. Drain, but keep the water.
- Chop the onions.
- In a skillet heat the olive oil and let the onions soften, but not browned.
- Add the drained mushrooms, salt, pepper and let sauté for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the white wine, broth of mushrooms and cayenne pepper and let boil 2-3 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Chop the parsley and stir it into the mushrooms after they have cooled.
- Cut the cheese in triangular slices, put a few mushrooms on each slice and serve.
Note: Mushrooms can be cooked the day before and keep refrigerated. Remove from fridge a while before serving.
PS. Today’s recipe posted for my candidacy in the “Food Blog Awards 2015”, particularly in the “Best Design & Site Architecture” category. If you would like to vote for me, login to your facebook account and click here. You should click the “like” button below the text. Thank you! 🙂